Water-stained violin proven to be the one that played Nearer my God to Thee by Wallace Hartley as the Titanic sank is found. [x]
It is the instrument that he played as the ship went down in the Atlantic, and that he later used as a buoyancy aid once Titanic went down.
The violin was discovered only by chance when the son of an amateur musician found it in his attic. It was given to his mother by her violin teacher and was left gathering dust.
The discovery was almost too good to be true, prompting experts to have the relic forensically examined by some of the most revered scientific bodies in Britain.
Now, after seven years of testing at a cost of tens of thousands of pounds, the water-stained violin has been proven to be the one played by Hartley on the night of the tragedy.
These pictures show how incredibly well-preserved the rose wood violin is despite its age and it being exposed to the sea for 10 days after the sinking.
There are two long cracks on its body that are said to have been opened up by moisture damage.
The photos also show the corroded engraved silver plate screwed onto the base of the fiddle that provided scientists with they key proof of its authenticity.
The historic violin, said to be worth a six figure sum, will go on public display at the Belfast City Hall, where Titanic was built, at the end of March.
Negotiations are also under way to exhibit it in museums around the world including America. It is likely to be auctioned off in the future.
Titanic experts have described it as the most important artefact associated with the infamous liner to have come to light.
- justalittlebitfurrywaitwut likes this
- liverbaliver likes this
- nailbats reblogged this from rad-puppeteer
- electricnik likes this
- rad-puppeteer reblogged this from titanicrealtime
- wineandazaleas likes this
- postcardsfromnormalcy reblogged this from lordwhatfools
- themightyviola reblogged this from orchestrahumor
- thesillyoldbear likes this
- mablair reblogged this from gianluigiborromini
- inexplicableshame reblogged this from champagnefromtheteapot
- fifftyshadesoffangirl likes this
- burritos-and-newfoundglory reblogged this from violn
- violn reblogged this from secondviolinproblems
- rad-puppeteer likes this
- wolvespreyonwolves likes this
- baibaiongg likes this
- baibaiongg reblogged this from titanicrealtime
- cher-aurelia-rose reblogged this from titanicrealtime
- frickfrackpaddiwhack likes this
- mage-of-heart13 reblogged this from titanicrealtime
- tfhendrickson reblogged this from titanicrealtime
- grace-kohai likes this
- chasmofobscurity likes this
- flytovenus reblogged this from vorpality
- flytovenus likes this
- vorpality reblogged this from titanicrealtime
- vorpality likes this
- lucieherondalethefirst likes this
- and-wakes-imagination likes this
- brendog1496 likes this
- fractured-porcelain likes this
- sissy65201 likes this
- half-arsed-havoc reblogged this from titanicrealtime
- punalious reblogged this from suzysils
- punalious likes this
- prince-of-wind reblogged this from titanicrealtime
- frigginnerd reblogged this from ohmysmokeythebear
- mapleandbrownsugar reblogged this from ohmysmokeythebear
- ohmysmokeythebear reblogged this from fuckyeahorchestra
- another-classy-cunt reblogged this from titanicrealtime
- xxmortyxx likes this
- le-homosexuel-quebecois reblogged this from fuckyeahorchestra and added:
- ostrich-stalk3r reblogged this from titanicrealtime
- asongtobreaktheheart likes this
- queerer-than-thou likes this
- nine-and-three-quarters reblogged this from secondviolinproblems
- maybesomethingnexttonormal likes this
- secondviolinproblems reblogged this from kitchendeviant
- our-omg-mel reblogged this from titanicrealtime